If you can focus when it’s time to work then you can improve your life in so many ways. Not only will you be a better student or employee – you will actually have more free time because you get your work done quicker! Learning how to focus can actually make you a happier person. Our minds are constantly looking for the distraction and instant gratification – if you can master this you will have unlocked one of the keys to happy, successful life.
Today, with the constant distraction of smartphones and social media, focusing has become more of a challenge than ever. However, if you approach it with a good game plan, you can rise to the top. While all your peers are getting distracted, you’re getting shit done.
How To Focus – First Build On Your Stamina
This isn’t something that will come to you immediately. Indeed, treat it like running. First, you have to build up stamina over time before you can run the marathon. The great thing is that everyone can build up their focus stamina – no matter how much they can naturally focus.
To build on it, give yourself a task to do, such as write an essay or report. Give yourself 30 minutes to do this. See how long you can go without getting distracted. If you pass the 30-minute mark – keep going!
- Once you begin to repeat this, you will notice that you actually have a reserve of focus that is much greater than you imagined.
- The key to unlocking that focus is having a singularity of purpose. By timing yourself, you push yourself on to better your focus and not get distracted. Wait until you see how much you can actually get done in 30 minutes!
- Repeat this task, and each day try to focus for a little bit longer. Keep a note of your best times somewhere for a record.
How To Focus – Get Some Meditation In Your Life
People use meditation for different things – some for spiritual purposes and others simply to relax. However, meditation will undoubtedly improve the focus in your mind.
It helps to cut down on internal chatter and distraction. Having a clear head will help you to focus much more effectively.
The best times to meditate are first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Find a quiet environment where you won’t be distracted and place your hands in your lap.
- Focus on relaxing your body, one part at a time.
- Pay attention to your breathing.
- If a thought enters your mind, notice it, but allow it to pass on.
Also Read: Watch anime online
How To Focus – Have A Good Routine
If you can have a good routine going before your working day begins, then this is an excellent way to be focused for the day.
- This may seem obvious, but you should try and get enough sleep.
- Put your phone on silent and switch off your laptop and TV an hour before going to bed. This will allow you to sleep easier.
- Avoid drinking coffee or caffeinated drinks after 6 pm.
- Try to get at 7 or 8 hours sleep each night.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Getting slow release carbohydrates has been shown to improve performance in the morning.
- Do 15 minutes of walking or light jogging during the day. This will get the blood pumping, and refresh your mind, without tiring you out.
- Don’t drink too much caffeine – or you will be heading for a crash later in the day.
How To Focus – Make A Plan And Stick To It
Making a to-do list for your day improves focus. You get a tangible list of things that you need to do – and then real satisfaction as you are able to tick them off during the day.
It stops you sitting around aimlessly, idly wasting time between tasks.
- Write down at least three things you want to accomplish for the day, either in the morning or at night before the day ahead.
- Also write down three things you would like to get done for your week, say on a Sunday night.
- Be specific about the time you feel each task should realistically take, and try and stick to this.
- You get a real sense of accomplishment as you tick these things off during the day.
- Reward yourself with a small 15-minute break each time you get a task done.
How To Focus – Keep Your Work Space Organised.
Removing distractions from your workspace is key to getting things done in a timely manner.
Also if you are organized, then you will know where everything you need is.
Clear anything not related to work away. That also means putting away your phone, unless it is really important for work. Don’t keep it on your desk, as the temptation is there to check it all the time.
How To Focus While Working Online
Now that many of us do a lot of our work on a computer, it has become increasingly a problem that we can be distracted by the lure of the internet.
Sure it is filled with lots of valuable information, but it is also a massive time suck. Websites are designed to be distracting – they want your attention – and in turn, you are being distracted by more links and advertisements.
Social media is even worse. Many of us spend significant amounts of our day on Facebook. Most of the time I’m not even sure why I am there!
Avoid starting conversations with people on IM during your work time. If someone messages you about something non-urgent, politely let them know that you’ll get back to them on your break.
Of you see an interesting article or website, then promise yourself you can check it out later and get back to your work.
We live in an ever more distracting world where the ability to focus is becoming a valuable asset. If you can focus better than the person working next to you, chances are you are more likely to get that promotion and to get your work done on time.
Having a little more focus gives us that competitive edge and makes our lives easier and happier. Good luck guys, and let me know your thoughts in the comments below.