Acne affects many of us in our teenage years. Sometimes if the acne is very strong, then it can leave scars on the face later into life. If you are wondering how to get rid of acne scars, then read on to find out more about different treatments.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars – Use Natural Treatments Like Lemon Juice
Believe it or not, fresh lemon juice is one way to combat acne scarring. The juice from the lemon is acidic and will bleach the skin, helping to lighten your scars.
Combine 1 part water with 1 part lemon juice to make up the solution. You can then directly apply this on to the scars, being careful to avoid the surrounding skin.
After 15-20 minutes you can wash off the lemon juice. Some people put it on as an overnight mask, but I don’t think this is necessary.
- You ought to moisturize immediately after you wash off the lemon juice as the citric acid may dry out your skin leaving it irritated and flaky.
- If it is easier to use a lime, then these work just as well.
- Remember to dilute, and don’t leave on too long!
- Lemon and lime juices also mean that your skin is more exposed to UV radiation. If you are using this treatment minimize the sun exposure you receive. Wear sunscreen before going in too strong direct sunlight.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars – Use Baking Soda To Exfoliate
To make up your paste mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of water. This is a cheap and effective way to combat scarring.
Apply the paste all over the face, and use gentle circular motions to rub it into the skin. Concentrate most on the areas with scaring.
Leave the paste on the skin for around two minutes, and then rinse off with warm water.
- This baking soda treatment is also known to be really effective for treating spots.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars – Honey
Honey is a natural product with so many benefits due to its antibacterial properties. It works excellently when applied to pimples to reduce the redness and inflammation they leave behind. Manuka honey or raw honey is considered to be the most effective. You can dab the honey directly onto the affected areas using an earbud.
- In my opinion, this is a much kinder treatment to your skin than using lemon juice or baking soda.
- Honey does not alter the skin pH and so it is useful for people with sensitive skin.
- Furthermore, honey will actually moisturize your skin instead of dry it out.
- Even better, if you can find pearl powder in your local health food store or online – mix some of this into the honey to create an extra effective remedy for acne scars!
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars – Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is magical stuff. My first memory of it was when I was a child on holiday in Spain. We went on a trip into the mountains where they had some wild Aloe Vera growing. Our guide cuts some off, and to demonstrate, applied it to some sunburn I had on my arm. Immediately I felt the soothing relief of this plant.
The sap of Aloe Vera has been used for millennia to treat many ailments including wounds, abrasions, burns, scars and acne.
It is also used to moisturize and rejuvenate the skin and will help scars to fade with time.
Aloe Vera products are available everywhere, including at your local drug store.
However, the best way to use this plant is to buy one, then break of a lead and use the fresh sap. This fresh sap is much more powerful than the products available in stores.
The sap has a gel like quality and can be applied liberally to the scar tissue, with no need to wash it off after.
- You can also add a drop of tea tree oil to the Aloe Vera gel before applying it. This makes an even better treatment and will further promote clear skin as well as reduce acne.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars – Ice Cubes
This is an extremely simple home remedy, available to anyone who has a freezer, or who can buy some ice from the local store. Ice helps to sooth the inflammation left behind after your spots have gone. Reducing the redness at this stage will also help to reduce scarring.
The best way to do this is to wrap an ice cube in a clean bit of cloth, and then hold it against the inflamed, scarred area. In a minute or two, this part of your face will begin to feel numb, and you can remove the ice.
- An even better treatment than this involves adding green tea. Instead of freezing regular water, make up some strong green tea. Freeze this in an ice cube tray and apply the frozen green tea to the scarred area.
- Green tea has natural anti-inflammatory properties, which will work with the natural cooling of the ice to really sooth hot and inflamed areas.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be bought in most health food stores and in pharmacies. It is thought to help balance the pH of skin and improve its appearance with time.
Dilute the store bought vinegar to half its strength with water and then apply this solution to the affected area daily using a cotton ball until your scars have faded.
What I’ve sought to do in today’s article is to show you how to get rid of acne scars using only inexpensive natural remedies.
Of course, there is the option to use medicated creams, drugs and treatments. Be aware that many of these, however, can have severe side effects.
Let me know what you think below. Have you had any success using these natural treatments? Or do you know any other natural treatments for acne scarring?